Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android Marshmallow
Follow the steps to update Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow using CyanogenMod Custom ROM.
I remember when Android Lollipop update was released, Galaxy S3 users were expecting to get the OTA update but that didn’t happen and for Marshmallow update you should not even think of the latest Android version. Did I tell you that you can still install Marshmallow on Galaxy S3 using CM 13 ROM.
Thanks to the developers who are still developing custom ROMs for the Galaxy S3 so that you can at least taste the Marshmallow features. You should know that these ROMs are nightly and all features may not work properly but they are updated continuously to make it stable.
- This Custom ROM is only compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.
- Make sure you have already install TWRP recovery.
- Just to be on safe side, make Nandroid backup of your existing ROM.
- Make sure USB Debugging option is enabled. You can find it Settings > Developers Options.
- Also make sure you’ve got enough battery charge. At least 70% battery charged is recommended to avoid uncertain shutdown during the flashing process.
- Download the latest nightly CM 13 Android 6.0.1 ROM.
- Download Android Marshmallow Gapps
Update Galaxy S3 to Android Marshmallow 6.0.1
Step 1: First of, connect your phone to PC and copy the CM13 and Gapps zip packages.
Step 2: Reboot your phone into Custom recovery. Power off your phone and hold the Volume Up+Home+Power buttons simultaneously for a few seconds until the recovery options appears on the screen.
Step 3: It is highly recommended that before making any changes you should take Nandroid Backup of your Current ROM.
- Tap the ‘Backup’ option and then Select the system partition files you want to Backup.
Step 4: Clear the system cache and factory reset it in order to prepare your phone for new installations.
- Tap the WIPE option, then Factory Reset and swipe to confirm.
Step 5: Finally your phone is ready for update.
- Tap the ‘Install’ option and select the Custom ROM zip package.
Step 6: When CyanogenMod 13 ROM is successfully installed, then use the same method, as in Step 5, and flash the GApps zip file.
Finally reboot your phone. Please note that 1st time boot may take sometime and that’s Ok.
OTA Update from Phone Settings
If you would like to update your Samsung device from OTA (Over the Air) through official firmware update then follow the tutorial below:
That’s it! You’ve now successfully updated Galaxy S3 to Android Marshmallow. Experience Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Galaxy S3 and don’t forget to share with us in the comment section below.