How to Install TWRP Recovery using Odin
Learn using the step-by-step guide on how to install TWRP custom recovery on all Samsung Android models including Galaxy S22, S21, S20, and Note20, S10 Plus, S9, S8, S7 /S7 Edge, S6 /S6, S5, S4 Edge, Note20 Ultra, Note 10+, Note 9, Note 8, Note 7, Note 4, Note 3 and other Galaxy Tab devices.
What is TWRP?
If you have never installed it and it is your first time, then it is a good idea to learn more about TWRP, what it does and how to get the most out of it.
Team Win Recovery Project, is an open-source custom recovery for Android devices including Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC, OnePlus, etc. Unlike its CWM, TWRP has a touchscreen interface making it easier for users to flash Custom ROM, kernel mods, and Gapps. As compared to stock recovery you can also perform other tasks such as wiping cache (Dalvik), Nadroid backup (entire ROM backup), restoring and mounting various device partitions including the system, boot, user data, cache, and internal storage are supported.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on All Samsung Models
You can easily install TWRP recovery using Odin on any of the Samsung Galaxy devices including the S, Note, J, A, and Tab Series. Please note that when using Odin, root access is not compulsory, you can flash TWRP without having root access on your device.
Here is how to install it:
- First of all, Download Odin and install Samsung USB drivers on a PC.
- Go to the official twrp site and download the img.tar recovery image for your device as you can see on the screen below:
- Now turn off your phone and reboot into Odin mode by pressing and holding the Vol down+Home+Power keys simultaneously for about 4 to 5 secs. Press Vol up to continue.
- Run the Odin3 application as an Administrator on your PC.
- While in download mode, connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Make sure your device is connected and Odin recognizes it and leave the default settings.
- Hit the AP/PDA button in Odin and select the recovery image file that you downloaded earlier.
- Wait for Odin to check the file and then hit the START button to start the flashing process.
- It should not take more than 2 minutes but depends on your PC.
- Once done, your phone will automatically restart and Odin3 should show PASS! green-labeled message.
Now you need to confirm if the installation has been successful by rebooting your phone into TWRP recovery Mode. Turn off your phone and just like before the press and hold the Vol Up+Home+Power keys at the same time for about 5 secs.
Did you find it helpful? Do let us know and share your feedback in the comments section below, this will help us to improve and produce more high-quality guides and tutorials.